Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Something Is Missing

I didn't have a chance to play White Oaks today. It just didn't work out. Instead, it was 200 balls on the practice range at Blue Heron Pines (Map). It seems these days that I spend more time at the range than on the course. There is something missing in this equasion.

What is it that golfers look forward to each time they go out? Many of us who play are constantly trying to improve and strengthen our games. But what for? I think all of us who play golf have a burning desire to play competitively at some level. Whether it is with your buddies in a foursome, a Wednesday night scramble, a league or even more, golfers need something to work towards.

I often feel in this area, and it may not be localized to the Atlantic City Area, that there is no culmination or event that we work towards. Perhaps it could be the club championship, should I decide to join one again. It simply seems that I am working towards my next round and I never know where that will be until shortly before I tee off. This doesn't provide a mental framework from with to build upon each experience to truly grow and refine your game.

I feel as though there needs to be yet another, more local level of golf competition. It may be time to start something new. A club championship doesn't work, because that is limited to the members of a specific course. If I am going to continue to live in the Atlantic City Area, we need something more than a few 9-hole scrambles with dinner. There needs to be an ongoing competition at multiple levels that culminates with a finale some time in the fall. Nobody is probably reading this, but I would love your ideas.