Wednesday, April 26, 2006

My Little Dude

It is safe to say that one of the biggest reasons that I don't play as much these days is because of a new arrival in our house. Our son Adam, which my wife prefers to call him, is almost 16 months old now and is truly a spitfire. Parents tell us routinely that all kids are energetic, but they just don't understand. First, I have a sister that is 12 years my junior and she wasn't like this. Second, at every playground we visit, there is no sign of a child like this at his age. He simply has energy that won't stop.

We all know that he won't be heading out on the course any time soon, but I have found a few activities that work great with him.

First, let's start by mentioning what didn't work. As an early present, someone who will remain anonymous, got him a set of wooden clubs that mimic the real thing (from the Pottery Barn I think), but aren't nearly close enough. What a great idea this seemed initially, his own little, safer set of clubs. The problem is, they just don't look like the one's I play around with. He needed a REAL, yet smaller, kids club.

Yes, he is walking and running now and has been for since 12 months. So, I know of a secluded practice green ay one of the area gold clubs that is almost always empty and well enclosed with a good sense of boundaries. It is easy, even for him, to see where he can and cannot go. Frankly, there is almost nothing as cute a little dude running all over the practice area that is surrounded by woods.

Golf carts pass by routinely as it is along the course, and not a sole driving by can't smile seeing him run across the green. The whole experience is truly a wonderful way of promoting golf and giving him a sense of freedom and individuality, even at 16 months.

We have gone to play about 10 times now, and he loves it. I get to practice my short game for a couple hours, while he runs around, plays in the sand trap and at times, he might be 50 yards from me.

He is truly one of the greatest little dudes I have ever know.