Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Harbor Pines

I started playing golf about five years ago after attending a Greater Atlantic City Chamber of Commerce golf outing. It was held at Harbor Pines Golf Club in Somers Point, NJ. I remember that it was a cold and windy November day when I played that first round of golf, but it obviously had quite an impression on me from that point forward.

Over the years I have longed to break open the piggy bank and give Harbor Pines another go (especially since the first time I played, I hadn't a clue what I was doing). So, this past memorial day I finally gave in an played the course I remember so little about.

After first trying "the dump" McCullough's Emerald Links, which wanted $80 for the round and Twisted Dune wanted over $100, I finally settled on Harbor Pines for $90. My major disappointment with most of the higher end golf courses in the area is their total aversion to walkers on the course. While in many cases, it is a good choice to restrict walkers, not all of them are created equally. So, the only course in southern New Jersey that really doesn't mind (at the higher end of course) is Blue Heron.

None the less, I forked over the money to play the round, and it was indeed a beautiful course. Not terribly difficult, though the group I was with were playing from the White tees, making it a more reasonable length, it was however immaculately kept and groomed. Very little was out of place and it offered a majestic view on every hole.

There were a few par-4 holes that bundled with the wind, were virtually impossible to reach in two. A solid drive and a well struck 3-wood left me 15 yards short of two greens.

With the conditions of the greens, I would have assumed they would have been a bit faster than they were playing (maybe an 11 on the stimp meter, but no more).

All around it was a nice course that I will go into more detail in a later post. It is time for some practice.